It started with a trench coat. I wanted to do something steampunk for Halloween, and I went to the Salvation Army thinking I wouldn't find anything useful. Instead, I found two skirts and this weird silk/linen blend trench coat with these funny short puffy sleeves.
Clearly I needed to buy it.
I tried out a few different looks involving these pieces and my 1860s corset [link]
-- and with a few suggestions from the lovely people over at Steamfashion [link]
-- I realized I had to stop being lazy and actually take the coat in.
I wish I'd taken a "before" picture of the coat...it was basically a huge rectangle. I put in seven giant darts so it would fit close over the corset, and trimmed it up with a whole bunch of green satin ribbon and stamped some fancy scrollwork onto the sleeves with rubber stamps. I also whipped up the nifty spats, though those could use some refining.
For Halloween, I added a cross pendant and a wooden stake and I was a badass vampire hunter. I kind of want to make some more outfits for this vampire hunter character...